Charming, but single

A journal in dates and drinks


Is that so?

"I had a picture of the baby, and everyone thought he was my grandson," Mom announced as we gossiped in Southern style, around the cleared table, munching on angel food cake and pistachio pudding, a cool Sunday dessert.

"And I said, 'No no!' He's my NEPHEW," she said emphatically. "My friends are just amazed that I'm not more upset about not having grandchildren."

My mom took a sip of iced tea and looked on as the baby in question, my cousin, slept soundly in my arms. I'd been holding him and cooing at him and he'd slipped into sleep before I could put him down.

"Oh really?" I asked, almost accusatorily.

My grandmother interrupted to give me pointers on holding the baby. My aunt interrupted to point out that as the oldest of all of the grandchildren, I was quite skilled in baby handling. I could feel a satisfied smile coming across my face in appreciation that someone recognized the number of diapers I'd changed and bottles I'd made over the years.

"Yes," Mom said. "Well, I always tell my friends that if y'all had kids, it would be a case of kids raising kids."

"Is that so?" I brushed my fingertips across the child's cheek and listened to his gentle breathing. I didn't disagree. But I wanted to make a point.

"Then why are you trying to set me up with every divorcee who crosses your path?"

I angled my iced tea glass so I wouldn't drop condensation on the baby's head and pointed my eyes to Mom.

"Well, I want you to be with SOMEONE," she said, emphasizing the last word as if I am all alone, free of human interaction.

"Yes, honey," my grandmother interrupted, again.

"A woman needs a companion."


Charming, but single is 25 26 27(!), lives in the Southern part of the U.S.A. and likes both her drinks and her boys tall. E-mail (listed below) her and she may respond. You can also IM her in AIM/AOL. (If she ever remembers to sign on.)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Former taglines of this blog: "A Journal in Dates and Drinks" and "A Dateless Journal of Drinking."




Those Particulars
Some Backstory
Memories of the Way We Were
Updates and Towel Snapping
One Year Wrap-Up
Just As She Is
An Open Letter to Myself
After 26 years, she HAS learned something
An Open Letter to the Men Who Message Me Through Match
Sharing a smoke



Associated Content Interview with Charming
The Hindu: Blog Sisters are here

Links (Updated!)



XML



I'm a C-list Blogebrity





Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates




Web Counters
Who links to me?






© 2006 Charming, but single | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.