Charming, but single

A journal in dates and drinks


Online Dating Day 3: So-so

Since I figure I should take this stuff seriously, I started searching through profiles with the goal being to contact at least five guys who caught my eye. This was a bit rough, as I'm very anti-rejection and I was actually looking for guys who caught my eye and who I thought would respond. So, I ended up not contacting anyone and just sorting through the guys who contacted me. Perhaps this is not the best way to approach things. I know that I should cast a wide net. I'm approaching this with too narrow a view, I suppose. Things that annoy me about online dating:

  • Winks and icebreakers and flirts. Lord, just send me a damn e-mail.
  • Guys from bazillions of miles away contacting me. Did I mention on my profile that I wanted to move to New York? Nope!
  • Guys who can't spell. Seriously.
  • Wondering if I should politely decline the guys I'm not into or just ignore them. (I've been ignoring them.)
Guys I've filtered out:
  • Out-of-towners
  • Men who list substandard establishments as where they like to hang out. I am a bar snob, not going to be caught dead in some trashy bar known for attracting rednecks. Next!
Outcomes:
  • Academic boy e-mailed a short note back that he was out of town, but promised that if I replied, he'd owe me a longer e-mail. He used an e-mail address with his full name (I don't for safety reasons.) and I waited two full minutes before Googling him. (I think that is an accomplishment.) Seems cool and I'll definitely try to wrangle a meeting for coffee sometime next week. Maybe. Am I actually going to go on an online date?
  • Another guy, 35, e-mailed me. He seemed sweet, so I e-mailed back. He sent me a really flattering e-mail about how I write really well (based on my e-mail?) and his phone number. Nice enough guy. I should call him.
  • Chatted with a 28-year-old business student. Seemed ok, promised to e-mail. We'll see.
  • Spent 30 minutes writing a really short and witty reply to a 28-year-old jazz fan who wears really cute plastic glasses. Hoping he'll drop me a line even though I know nothing about jazz music.
  • Had some weird e-mail exchanges with a 30-something fitness trainer who seemed more into a hook-up than anything else. He sent an annoyed e-mail back because he apparently was hoping for something tonight. No thank you.


Charming, but single is 25 26 27(!), lives in the Southern part of the U.S.A. and likes both her drinks and her boys tall. E-mail (listed below) her and she may respond. You can also IM her in AIM/AOL. (If she ever remembers to sign on.)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Former taglines of this blog: "A Journal in Dates and Drinks" and "A Dateless Journal of Drinking."




Those Particulars
Some Backstory
Memories of the Way We Were
Updates and Towel Snapping
One Year Wrap-Up
Just As She Is
An Open Letter to Myself
After 26 years, she HAS learned something
An Open Letter to the Men Who Message Me Through Match
Sharing a smoke



Associated Content Interview with Charming
The Hindu: Blog Sisters are here

Links (Updated!)



XML



I'm a C-list Blogebrity





Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates




Web Counters
Who links to me?






© 2006 Charming, but single | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.