Charming, but single

A journal in dates and drinks


The Bride

Small round pearls dotted the surface of her strapless white dress. I felt them press into my arms as I wrapped them around her in a big hug and held her tight.

 

"You're married," I whispered into her ear, more for my benefit than hers. "I can't believe you're married."

 

I pulled back and looked her, so simply styled, yet classically beautiful, with her hair pinned up and flowers nestled among the strands. A wide smile seemed permanently etched on her face.

 

Tears welled up in my eyes and I clumsily pushed one away, turned my head and apologized.

 

"I'm sorry, I just …"

 

"I know, babe, I know," she said.

 

"We just used to sit up at [The Bar] and drink beers and you were my other single girl pal for months and months …"

 

My words quickened as I tried to regain my composure. She just laughed with an understanding smile.

 

"And we just never thought that this was going to happen. Remember how we never thought this was going to happen?"

 

She laughed again and nodded. We talked some more about how beautiful she looked, how happy I was for her, how fabulous He is. I couldn't hear the loud music around me, didn't see the dancing, didn't smell the cake. I was tipsy, from both wine and emotion.

 

He came over, so handsome in his tux, slid an arm around her waist and they grinned. There were no more words. He has more of a connection to her now than I ever could, even on those nights when we downed crisp, cold beers and greasy bar food.

 

I smiled back and turned back to my other friends, who knew why I was shaken, but were too kind to say anything.
 
And I watched her float away, all smiles and a vision in white, so proud for her that I could barely blink back the tears.  


Charming, but single is 25 26 27(!), lives in the Southern part of the U.S.A. and likes both her drinks and her boys tall. E-mail (listed below) her and she may respond. You can also IM her in AIM/AOL. (If she ever remembers to sign on.)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Former taglines of this blog: "A Journal in Dates and Drinks" and "A Dateless Journal of Drinking."




Those Particulars
Some Backstory
Memories of the Way We Were
Updates and Towel Snapping
One Year Wrap-Up
Just As She Is
An Open Letter to Myself
After 26 years, she HAS learned something
An Open Letter to the Men Who Message Me Through Match
Sharing a smoke



Associated Content Interview with Charming
The Hindu: Blog Sisters are here

Links (Updated!)



XML



I'm a C-list Blogebrity





Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates




Web Counters
Who links to me?






© 2006 Charming, but single | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.