Charming, but single

A journal in dates and drinks


Food as a defense mechanism

I smiled as I set a bowl of warm seafood bisque on the table and took my seat. I smoothed a napkin across my lap, crossed my ankles beneath the table and stirred my soup with a spoon.

 

"Well, what are you doing these days?" My Aunt's Husband's Stepmother asked. "Still in school?"

 

"No, I work in public relations."

 

I took a bite of soup.

 

"Oh?"

 

"I work in the press office of [Organization Name]."

 

"Oh!"

 

She seemed very impressed.

 

"Well, I have a nephew – actually, TWO nephews," her eyes filled with excitement as she spoke. "They are both very nice."

 

"Oh?"

 

I politely listened, trying to fill my mouth with soup and salad and avoid having to comment.

 

"Yes, one works in computers. He's one of those network guys. And the other is in the software company; I think he's pretty high up. They help people install tax software."

 

"That sounds really interesting," I replied before chomping on another bite of salad. The more she talked, the less I wanted to have to respond. I don't want to be hooked up with this family's Men to Marry Off anymore than they want to be hooked up with me.

 

"Yes, they are very hard workers," she said.

 

I smiled and took another bite of soup. It is always best not to be negative about potential familial fix-ups, but I had a feeling that if two eligible single men existed in this extended family (not related by blood at all), my Aunt would have mentioned them. It's such a double-edged sword. If you like the family's fix-up, everyone stresses about the relationship and puts undue stress on it. And it becomes awkward. If you don't end up dating the person, then you constantly have to explain why you didn't like Nephew One and Two. And you can't say anything about wanting a boyfriend, because then everyone says, "But what about the Nephews?"

 

"Honey?" The Stepmother turned to my Aunt's Husband's Father. "Where did they have that apartment? Where do they live now?"

 

"I don't play matchmaker," he said and went back to eating.

 

"Well, they do sound very nice," I said politely. "And technology is an ever-growing field."

 

And I shoved a piece of bread into my mouth.


Charming, but single is 25 26 27(!), lives in the Southern part of the U.S.A. and likes both her drinks and her boys tall. E-mail (listed below) her and she may respond. You can also IM her in AIM/AOL. (If she ever remembers to sign on.)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Former taglines of this blog: "A Journal in Dates and Drinks" and "A Dateless Journal of Drinking."




Those Particulars
Some Backstory
Memories of the Way We Were
Updates and Towel Snapping
One Year Wrap-Up
Just As She Is
An Open Letter to Myself
After 26 years, she HAS learned something
An Open Letter to the Men Who Message Me Through Match
Sharing a smoke



Associated Content Interview with Charming
The Hindu: Blog Sisters are here

Links (Updated!)



XML



I'm a C-list Blogebrity





Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates




Web Counters
Who links to me?






© 2006 Charming, but single | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.