Charming, but single

A journal in dates and drinks


And now, the requisite Valentine's post

This year was good. Typically, I'm single on Valentine's Day and I fall into one of two single girl V-Day patterns.

  • Drunken anger at the world and all men, regardless of who they are.
  • Pitiful, "I am single! I am awesome! I NEED NO MEN! EVER! Really. I am TOTALLY OKAY BEING ALONE!" celebrations where I pretend not to be bitter.
Both of these situations suck. They're both so cliche. Now, that doesn't mean that I never act out of either emotion -- I do, all of the time, but usually not on such a grand level as Valentine's Day. But for years I, and numerous other singles, have exhausted so much energy hating the idea of Valentine's Day or trying too hard to act like we don't care. (Methinks thou doth protest too much, dears.) This year, I made no plans. I got a few annoying text messages from single girlfriends about the horror of the day, but I didn't respond to any of them. I had a piece of the candy my daddy always sends me and read the card my grandparents always give me (complete with a crisp $5 bill) and went to work, where I plugged in my headphones and, well, worked. About mid-day I got a text from a girlfriend that was simple. "Single and fabulous girls only dinner tonight. Sushi. 6 p.m." We had a blast. There were a few jokes about our married/attached friends and that was that. Then we had a normal dinner like the normal adult women we all are for the other 364 days out of the year. We talked about our jobs and our families and our lives. Though we never actually acknowledged it, male-bashing was pretty much forbidden. It was refreshing. I've spent so much time being unhappy because my life didn't fit the Hallmark ideal of Valentine's Day. It was nice to just have fun and enjoy my friends' company in a stress-free situation. I barhopped around to have a beer with some other groups of friends after dinner, but headed home early when the women started talking about how their exboyfriends should all be castrated. I was in too good of a mood to let some halfwit dredge up old anger about past wrongs. (I'm halfwitted enough to do that on my own. Just wait until tomorrow.) It's a lesson I'll soon forget the next time a guy doesn't call or says something insensitive or insulting. But for now, I feel, well, happy to have such great, charming (and yes) single friends.


Charming, but single is 25 26 27(!), lives in the Southern part of the U.S.A. and likes both her drinks and her boys tall. E-mail (listed below) her and she may respond. You can also IM her in AIM/AOL. (If she ever remembers to sign on.)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Former taglines of this blog: "A Journal in Dates and Drinks" and "A Dateless Journal of Drinking."




Those Particulars
Some Backstory
Memories of the Way We Were
Updates and Towel Snapping
One Year Wrap-Up
Just As She Is
An Open Letter to Myself
After 26 years, she HAS learned something
An Open Letter to the Men Who Message Me Through Match
Sharing a smoke



Associated Content Interview with Charming
The Hindu: Blog Sisters are here

Links (Updated!)



XML



I'm a C-list Blogebrity





Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates




Web Counters
Who links to me?






© 2006 Charming, but single | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.