Charming, but single

A journal in dates and drinks


Blog-related things (I'm so meta it hurts, part 2)

Hola, people. I'm soliciting opinions from my blogger buddies about some tools I've been playing around with. I'd e-mail you all ... but, you know, I have a LOT of things go on right now. I mean, with The Apprentice finale coming up and a very demanding schedule of resting to help heal the lungs and dreaming about what I'm going to spend my coming-any-day-now tax refund on, I've just been swamped. Swamped, I tell you. So, we likey Sitemeter (the free version) for stats? Yay or nay? I just added it to the site to give it a whirl. Any other free counters? (I've been using Branica, which is okay, but I'd like to have something that tracked more than just my last 10 search terms and referrers. For free. I'm cheap like that.) From a commenting standpoint, I was considering switching to Haloscan, but I'm a touch concerned I'd lose my current comments. That would just break my heart. I'm around 300. (Y'all rock. We'll have a party or something when we get to around 500.) Anyone know if there's a way to not lose your comments and transfer to Haloscan? Is it even worth changing? I'm not sure that the Blogger commenting system discourages commenting ... I don't know. Thoughts? Also, I was reading a little bit about the Google AdSense program. I'm not getting a TON of hits. (Between 50 and 100 a day, I would estimate.) I didn't start this to make money ... I started it to have a canvas, so to speak. I know that at this point in time, I am not ready to place ads on the site. I've been thinking about the direction I want to take the blog. This is part of a lot of thinking about the general direction of my life and dating and all that boring jazz. It's odd for me to think about putting ads on my journal. Of course, I still haven't quite wrapped my head around the fact that I actually publish this -- anonymous or not -- for anyone else to see. I'm waiting for the day when I wake up and think, "Holy crap, why the hell did I think it would be a good idea to blog about my lacking love life? I just need to go back to therapy and delete the damn thing!" On one hand, I think, if people want to read this and click on ads and I get money off of it, that's kind of a sweet deal. Is that any different from publishing your work in a magazine? (This is a much much much smaller scale, obviously.) But there's probably a can of worms waiting to be opened when you switch from "fun side project of fed-up singleton" to "ad-supported, money-making site." For one, there's the need to fill the site up all of the time, regardless of what's going on in my personal life. (I like having the option that if nothing is going on in life, nothing is going on on the blog, you know?) Also, by taking ads, do you run the risk of having to water down your content? I'm sure Google AdSense has some sort of language filter in place and if you get into BlogAds and stuff, you end up having to think about how your advertisers are going to feel about your content, which is common in the publishing world, but more of an afterthought in the writing-in-your-journal world. I'm not passing judgment on blogs that take ads. I haven't seen a TON of single-type blogs that do, but I'm sure they're out there. It's an interesting proposition, but ultimately something that I don't think fits for me right now. All of this ad talk is probably a touch presumptive, as I doubt I'd make much (if any) money from ads. This was just rumbling around in my head and I wanted to get it out and get some perspectives. So, darlings who have bothered to read this far, opine on ad-supported blogs versus blogs with an ad or two versus just-for-the-hell-of-it blogs. I'm just curious. Also, I've been getting crazy Google referrers lately. A lot of searches related to the words "panties" and "peeing." Crazy crazy, I tell ya ...


Charming, but single is 25 26 27(!), lives in the Southern part of the U.S.A. and likes both her drinks and her boys tall. E-mail (listed below) her and she may respond. You can also IM her in AIM/AOL. (If she ever remembers to sign on.)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Former taglines of this blog: "A Journal in Dates and Drinks" and "A Dateless Journal of Drinking."




Those Particulars
Some Backstory
Memories of the Way We Were
Updates and Towel Snapping
One Year Wrap-Up
Just As She Is
An Open Letter to Myself
After 26 years, she HAS learned something
An Open Letter to the Men Who Message Me Through Match
Sharing a smoke



Associated Content Interview with Charming
The Hindu: Blog Sisters are here

Links (Updated!)



XML



I'm a C-list Blogebrity





Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates




Web Counters
Who links to me?






© 2006 Charming, but single | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.